Thursday, April 9, 2015

"Let's Get Married" Review


Let's Get Married is a romantic comedy based on the popular 2013 Chinese TV show. Both movie and series examine the ups and downs of relationships, but unlike something like Sex and the City, the film centers on different characters than the show, choosing to follow it in spirit: glamorous and goofy.

The film navigates through four stories: Wenwen (Gao Yuanyuan) is the manager of a bridal boutique, dreaming of her own special day; Yi Wen (Bea Hayden Kao), a violinist, travels from Beijing to Italy for a competition, meeting Luca (Li Chen), a laid-back tour guide; Xiaoling (Zheng Kai) and Gu Xiaolei (Ivy Chen) are a pilot and stewardess debating whether it’s the right time to get married; Hotel manager Hai Xin (Liu Tao), feeling upstaged and ignored by her star chef husband Cao Depeng (Wang Zijian), begins to question her marriage after a nasty argument.

If four stories in two hours sounds like a jumble, it shouldn't; but somehow it is. The film's first half paces well, even if it tends to enjoy Wenwen and Yi Wen's stories more than the other two. However, by this time, I feel the stories are getting ready to wrap up. Imagine my shock when I check my phone and see I have an hour left.

This latter half slugs along, padding out stories for dramatic "tension;" but here's the rub: these stories are no Shakespeare. There's little surprise to be had, and the film treats the viewer as if they've never seen a romantic comedy. In essence, I'm waiting for the film to cross off moments from my mental checklist: the misunderstanding separating a couple, the realization a character has been an idiot to their significant other, the wedding scene, etc.

But just because I've seen films like this before doesn't nullify Let's Get Married's existence. The movie's bubbly, silly; and as a chef blows into a duck or a pair of costumed pandas suddenly pop into frame, I find myself giggling at the lighthearted absurdity of it all. Director Jiang Liu, who also helmed the TV show, gives the film a similarly glossy glow. He shoots Beijing and Italy with scrutiny, showing off every gorgeous angle both cities have to offer. Some of the camera techniques make me turn my head a little (including some choppy slo-mo that makes me giggle) but the whole film carries a chic flair I can't help but admire.

All in all, Let's Get Married is a sprinter: lively and energetic in the beginning, but drags more and more the longer it runs. It's not offensive or soulless like the worst rom-coms I've seen, but then again, I've also seen better. If you're a fan of the genre, give it a rental. Thank you all for reading; I'm the Man Without a Plan, signing off.    




No comments:

Post a Comment