Friday, May 30, 2014

"Moms' Night Out" Review

I've been feeling stuck trying to find a starting point for today's review, but I'd like to start by linking to this articles:

1. http://www.ivillage.com.au/how-to-be-the-perfect-mum/

Shauna Anderson bemoans the idea that as a mom, the goal is efficiency, multi-tasking as much as possible to finish all the work in the least amount of time possible. Creating a 14-step plan to take the pressure off this perfectionist mindset, she suggests accepting one's limitations and faults is the best policy. As Anderson puts it, "I am a good mother. I do the best that I can. I pledge that trying my hardest is the best I can do."

"Moms' Night Out" taps into this unattainable perfection, playing up chaos for laughs. Allyson (Sarah Drew) can detect the source of filth or possible disorder within a three-mile radius, analyze the potential risk for salmonella in a finger-sized dollop of pancake batter at a glance, and run through fifty worst-case scenarios of a single action in the time it takes to blink. Allyson is as much a workaholic as her architect husband (Sean Astin); the pressure she puts on herself to be the perfect mother and housewife is driving her crazy. So in order to take a well-deserved break, the idea of a girls' night out is born. Along with her friends Izzy, (Logan White) and Sondra (Patricia Heaton of "Everybody Loves Raymond" fame), they set out to have a fun, relaxing night that devolves into a cluster of shenanigans, all while Allyson tries to come to grips with her imperfections.

The shenanigans are split into two camps: long and dull or absurdly entertaining. For the most part, the comedy lacks the wit or edge to keep my interest; I find myself resting my head on my cheek. However, the movie's second half sets up such a strange concoction of side characters and dilemmas. For ten minutes of a car chase, my jaw never shut; I was bewildered at the scenario presented in front of me. When the movie wants to be weird, it succeeds, man.

The characters are stereotypical and the cast deviates not from their prescribed notes. Kudos to a surprisingly enjoyable performance by Trace Adkins, whom I commend the casting director for: Adkins doesn't have to act at all. If there's anyone who fits the "tough biker with a heart of gold" persona, it's him. The role IS his personality. (What makes it work so well? I think it's the voice: commanding, yet warm like melted butter.)

Allyson's search for inner strength and the trio's shenanigans are separate films; the movie makes little effort to tie both together. The message inspires as much as a 90 minute movie can, but the heartwarming effect falls flat when juxtaposed with a parakeet's death by butt cheek. That's really the main problem: execution. If well-paced with dynamic characters, this premise shows promise. But as is, "Moms' Night Out" is a hokey, unfunny mess. Thank you all for reading; I'm the Man Without A Plan, signing off.

                                                                                "Moms' Night Out" trailer:




No comments:

Post a Comment